Re: New DB routines.

From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 08/28/97

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, George wrote:

> Basically I had it tiered such as this (using mobiles as an example):
> Boot db
>   load_all(L_MOBILE)
>     parse_index()
>       parse_mobiles()
>         read_file()
>   load_all(L_OBJECTS)
>   load_all(L_ROOMS)
> done
>
> I'll start work on a patch that will do this but was interested in what
> people think of the new possibilities. (Or we could even get funny and not
> load the mobs from disk until they are actually accessed with it, or
> perhaps don't load a zone until someone goes there, or load rooms unless
> someone enters it, etc, with minor changes.)

This could also save some boot time.  If an entire file is read into a
buffer and then parsed it would be much more efficient than parsing one
line at a time from the file.

Another benefit would be adding an option to the reload command to reload
specific prototypes or entire zones or whatever if you change a file
offline.

Sam