Re: [Idea] Spells & Skills

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 08/30/97

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997, Chris Grantham wrote:

-+The little floating blob of grey matter in my brain isn't in the mood to
-+think up 300 abilities (read: spells & skills) for 10 classes and 80
-+(mortal) levels. I can't very well use anyone elses, because the theme
-+of my mud is pretty different (rundown: modern, realistic to earth. If
-+you can't do it RL, why should you be able to do it on this (type of a
-+theme) game?).

More often it's the other way around: if you can do it in RL, why can't
you do it in the game. But I suppose there are some limits as to what
we can code. (<g> God, the world's greatest programmer. :)

-+So, what I'm thinking is just cutting out abilities (read: spells &
-+skills) altogether. Now, I'm afraid that this will make the game
-+incredibly boring and (former) players will flame me mercilessly.

Ick. People don't have skills in real life? 'Pick lock' seems perfectly
applicable (especially where I live, but that's another story) to real
life, as does most, if not all, of the skills presently in Circle.
Admittedly, I've never thought 'kick' or 'bash' were much for skills;
although it really depends upon what you think about such things.

-+What might I do in it's place to enhance the game play? (Short of adding
-+every single patch on the Snippet site) =).

Heh, I don't know if adding every single patch on the Snippet site would
do much good. Actually, it'd probably do you more harm than good. How
about random alien abductions? (err, I'm kidding. Unless, of course, you
like the idea; then I'm demanding money for it...[kidding, again; unless,
of course, you will pay me...this could go on forever]).

Okay all tom-foolery aside (I bet you're thinking "tom-foolery?!" about
now), there is some things you can do. Implement crime rates and red
light districts. Over-eager, uptight, occassionally white-sheet-wearing
police officers...and all of those horrible things that make real life
suck as real life, but cool as a game...:)

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Programmer C/C++/ASM/HTML, Sysadmin, and High-priced Male Escort