Re: <code> Oasis crashin'

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 09/06/97

On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Corey Crawford wrote:

-+Anyways, it works all dandy and fine untill you edit an 'uncreated'
-+thing - thing being room, obj, mob, shp
-+
-+Can anything think of anything that would cause this?
-+Is something not being 'free'ed'?

I suppose I qualify as an 'anything' (glad you didn't say, "Can anyone,"
as that would've immediately disqualified me :).  Okay, foolishness aside,
it almost sounds like a pointer problem (very few people fully understand
pointers).  Or, to state, it sounds like "oedit 6" with an immediate quit
is pointing you towards some temporary memory that is allocated for the
object.  But then you don't modify the object, and quit, hence it is not
put into memory, and the pointer is never deinitialized, and next time
around it causes a problem.  Although, it really depends upon what the
top (or, rather, entry point) of the OLC code does, and the actual
pointers you have floating around.  I could be wrong, though.

-+                        __\'/__
-+                      ./ ^   _ \  .
-+                    |\| (o   o) |/|
-+=================oOOO=====(_)=====OOOo========
-+
-+Corey Crawford      (Yes, it use to be Hoitsma)
-+- Myrddin                tazmania.ah.net 7000 -
-+  http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/3336
-+
-+===============================================
-+                        / /   \0ooo.
-+                      .oooO    ( . )
-+                      ( . )     ) /
-+                       \ (     (_/
-+                        \_)

While I appreciate the art work, and I'm sure others like it, too;
and I certainly don't want to sound like a 'net Nazi, I think it is
perhaps a bit lengthy.  Actually, I believe the .sig limit for the
list is 5 lines, regardless of how cool you are. :)  Anyway, I have
a preference for clean, classic, almost barren things.  Simplicity
is the greatest acheivement of a genius.

Also, why is your name Crawford now?  Hoitsma is actually kind of
cool.  We people with hard-to-pronounce last names need to stick
together. :) [does the 'ts' make a 'ss' sound?]

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Think.