Re: Linux problem with lag & TCP/IP revisted.

From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 09/09/97

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Chris Jacobson wrote:

> Yes, this >is< a repost, I didn't get any responses last time, and this
> problem is driving me crazy.  I would like to hear from those of you who
> have had this problem, and are currently having it, as I intend to get to
> the root of it and patch it once and for all, then release the patch :-)
> I'm also on mudsrus.com, which has a 2.0.30 kernel, and I doubt I could
> convince them to upgrade it.

When I added the write check under linux 2.0.29 that solved my problem.
If you're still getting bad lag at player connection, you'll have to check
your syslogs for more information.  It sounds like the lag is caused by
hostname lookups.  Have you checked to see if these are valid connections
from players with ip's that your dns server can't find?

If these are valid connections, you'll need to either turn slowns on, or
add one of the dns lookup patches (mine's pretty buggy).

Sam