Re: [Code]Race Specific Spells

From: Edward Glamkowski (EGlamkowski@MATHEMATICA-MPR.COM)
Date: 09/10/97

        One of the first things I did to my spells was go
through them and make most of them level dependent, using
AD&D as a guide.  So magic missile does (level / 2)d4 +
(level / 2), fireball does (level)d6, etc.
        Also made more spells area affect (like fireball,
ice storm, burning hands), which typically do less damage
than a comparable level, one target spell, which hopefully
helps compensate for them affecting more than one target.
        Using an event system, you could have casting times
which might be affected by some combination of skill level
and character level.  Haven't done that yet, though.
        It's a good thing the spell system in Circle is
fairly easy to work with (especially compare to Diku), since
it is one area where there is room for a *lot* of
customization.
        Add material components? no problem!
        Using an event queue? casting times - no problem!
        Adding new types of spells (mag_room)? no problem!
        Want to use memorization instead of mana? no problem!
        etc. etc. etc.
These types of things are typically much more difficult in
Diku stock code, since spells are highly decentralized.
Jeremy did a superb job in developing the spell code for
Circle =)

Edward Glamkowski, Programmer           Mathematica Policy Research
EGlamkowski@mathematic-MPR.COM          Princeton, NJ
                http://www.mathematica-mpr.com/

        Il dort. Quoique le sort fut pour lui bien etrange,
        Il vivait. Il mourut quand il n'eut plus son ange.
        La chose simplement d'elle-meme arriva,
        Comme la nuit se fait lorsque le jour s'en va.