[Building]Customizing room directions

From: Bode, Wyatt (wjbode@BEMIS.COM)
Date: 09/11/97

Here's one for Daniel Koepke and anyone else who likes doing tricky
things without changing any code. *grin*

Basically, make a world file with the rooms linked in a "context
sensitive" way.  It's kinda hard for me to explain, so I'll give an
example (sorry for the spam):

[19534] The Shore
   A vast expanse of sand lies in front of you, the ocean lapping at
your
feet.  A stiff, salty breeze blows in your face, invigorating you.  You
see a small island off to the southwest, and you can take a swim to the
west.  The Highway leads to the east.
[ Exits: e s w ]
5000H 1000M 1000V > east

[19503] The Marshes
   Here, the magic of the Highway has broken down, and the path gets
progressively worse as you continue.  The road seems to be leading you
some type of coastal marsh to the south.  The sea is at your back, and
fresh, salty breeze from the west entices you to turn around.
[ Exits: s w ]
5000H 1000M 1000V > south

[19540] The Marshes
   The Highway has become no more than a thicker section of the swamp,
sucking at your boots and squelching at every step.  A fetid smell of
rot
and decay hangs in the air, and few plants survive.  The buzz of
mosquitoes fills your ears, and the pesky parasites swarm around you
constantly.  There appears to be a castle to the south, and the Highway
continues to the north.
[ Exits: n s ]
5000H 1000M 1000V > north

[19510] Highway to the Sea
   The marshes are behind you, and a salty breeze is blowing in from the
west.  You notice that the Highway has improved; instead of slogging
through the mire behind you, there are actually paving stones at regular
intervals.  The hideous swamps lie to the south.
[ Exits: s w ]
5000H 1000M 1000V > west

[19534] The Shore
   A vast expanse of sand lies in front of you, the ocean lapping at
your
feet.  A stiff, salty breeze blows in your face, invigorating you.  You
see a small island off to the southwest, and you can take a swim to the
west.  The Highway leads to the east.
[ Exits: e s w ]
5000H 1000M 1000V >

Note the vnums of the rooms as I walk from the shore to the swamp, and
back again.  The descriptions of the "Highway" (rooms 19503 and 19510)
change depending which direction I am traveling.  The only problem is
that objects/mobs/players in one room will not be able to interact with
the other room directly, even though it appears to be in the same
physical location (uh-oh, sounds like some CODING to do *8->  I'll work
on that problem later.)  Anyway, I think it allows an extra cool
customization of the game text.

P.S. to Chris Proctor: these descriptions are from a Homelands(TM) based
zone I created when the expansion set first came out.  If you would like
a copy, please let me know.  I would be honored to have it be part of
Dominia MUD!

        -- Wyatt Bode