Re: [CODE]

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 09/13/97

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Fabio de Oliveira Fagundes wrote:

-+I got the 3.0 Circle mud.....but my olc when i like to use says:"OLC is not
-+yet complete.  Sorry." Can you send to me the olc complete file....by
-+e-mail?

Uhm...err...ohh...Hmm.  Excuse me for a moment while I take a few deep
breaths (anger management excercise).  Okay, here's how it goes.
CircleMUD does not have a completed OLC in the stock code.  Which is
not a particular difficult to spot thing considering it's plastered
everywhere in documentation, FAQs, olc.c, who knows where else.  But
people needed OLC for their MUDs fairly quickly, and Jeremy could not
deliver a finished Circle 3.1 [in which OLC is supposed to be
implemented] quickly enough, so some people resorted to writing their
own OLC packages.  One is Samedi's exquisite Obuild package, and the
other is OasisOLC which George is currently maintaining.  Obuild is
the more stable, mature package, but Oasis is coming along underneath
George's guidance.

Only two things *really* seperate Obuild and Oasis.  These are the
factors of ease-of-use and speed-of-use.  Obuild, no matter what anyone
says, is not a user-friendly OLC package.  It features a complete
command line interface, and expects the builder to know what to do
and when to do it.  Oasis is a very user-friendly package, with menus
and prompts for everything to be done in the building process.  The
only other thing you have to consider is just how experienced your
builders are.  If your builders are very experienced with CircleMUD
or DIKUs in general, then Obuild might be better for them.  Since
Obuild does not bother with layers upon layers of menus, to change
one small thing, all one needs to do is quickly type in a command,
instead of going through a menu system.  This makes Obuild faster to
use for experienced builders, because they can change what they want,
where they want, when they want with only a little typing.  In Oasis,
you always have to go through the menu system, even if all you want
to change is a miniscule detail.

Your choice.

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]