Re: [Buffers] Problems with improvededit and buffers?

From: Chris Jacobson (fear@ATHENET.NET)
Date: 09/14/97

On 9/14/97 11:06 PM, George (greerga@DRAGON.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU) stated:

>Did you modify the improved editor to use the new buffers or is it still
>using the old ones?  My next question if you modified it would be: are you
>sure you're not using a buffer after you freed it?  If not, then try a
>debugger trace  and see where it crashes.
>
>(A pointer to a buffer is set to NULL after you use it.)

Well I was using the new buffers, but I switched it back to using buffers
for arg and arg2, and a static 32k sized 'buf', and everything works
fine.  The problem was apparently sometimes the buffer would get overrun
(I coudl tell this because it would crash in release_buffer or
aquire_buffer, in the give and give->next, where "pring (char[4])give"
would produce a short 4-character string that was obviously part of the
buffer.  I think here using a static 32k buffer might be better in this
one function anyways, since it would get used a lot.