Re: Liscensing and Copyrights

From: Rob Baumstark (shirak@CONNECT.AB.CA)
Date: 09/25/97

> An analogy might be: are file format under the license?  If someone
> writes an offline creator program that produces output in the
> Diku/Circle format, I think that the program itself is still not under
> the Diku/Circle license and could be sold (providing, of course, that
> it doesn't contain Circle code for things like database parsing).  I
> think writing a plugin module for use with Circle that just uses
> Circle's structures is close to the same thing.
----------
I have been wondering about this ever since I wrote an offline editor, and
I was considering asking for a small reg fee (don't like to, but I'm a
student with $0 income, and a fairly larger outflow of cash).  I didn't,
and posted the editor with source to my web page, because I was unsure if I
could, and I still don't know how i'd collect from people all over the
world exactly, but if someone could clarify it for me I would appreciate
it.
Any ideas about collecting cash in all kinds of foreign formats from all
over would be appreciated too.
     Rob Baumstark:   shirak@connect.ab.ca
                      cst0656@nait.ab.ca

   Forsaken Realms:   telnet://drewl.v-wave.com:4000