Re: An uncommon problem...

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 09/29/97

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Cris Jacobin wrote:

-+        Well as far as players eventually catching onto a particular
-+language, isn't this the way it works in the real world?  Seems for most
-+non-oriental languages at least, hang around long enough and you start to
-+pick up a word here and there.

No, that isn't how it works in real life.  The problem I'm having
is that the player *character* is supposed to interact with the
world, not the player himself.  In real life, you're the character,
figuring out things for yourself, without any higher intelligence
defeating the language scrambling code and making you act on that.

-+        But as far as putting it into a mud, as it's been mentioned before
-+it's quite easy to defeat.  Comm via titles, emote or even an irc session
-+running in the background.  So besides being a novelty, not too much use.

Well, I removed 'titles', and people are only allowed to do 3
emotes per 5 minutes (there's no reason to do more than that
if you're not cheating the language system), so unless they're
planning on talking really slow, that only leaves irc sessions.
Which hopefully very people will even bother with (because I
can't prevent them from running irc on their own computers).

-+         -fight.c
-+         -act.comm.c
-+         -act.objsave.c"

I've always thought that act.movement.c was pretty ugly...

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Think.