Re: An uncommon problem...

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 09/29/97

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Ron Cole wrote:

-+3 in 5 minutes seems a bit extreme.  A lot of the people who actually get into
-+character, use emotes a lot, especially in social situations.  We've also had
-+characters who could not/would not speak, using emotes as a sign language.  Of
-+course, we don't have other languages yet, so we have no need to limit them.

Two people have brought up good points concerning this limitation of
emote restriction.  Though I don't necessarily account for the "mime"
factor (of players that won't speak), for player's that can't speak
it's fairly easy to communicate in other ways.  Writing, smiling,
frowning, nodding, shaking their head, growling, etc.  The stock
socials are good for this type of stuff.  And while no-one is going
to be miming climbing a ladder, being stuck in an invisible box,
pulling a rope, and walking up stairs all within 5 minutes; I don't
really think it necessary for them to do so.  It'd be nice to be
able to, of course, but with people using "emote" to cheat the
system, there was little other alternative.

-+My opinion on languages is that that they should be fun to use, not limiting.
-+So, I would tend to allow everyone to speak the "common" language and other
-+languages would be something like, "Joe says something in a language you don't
-+understand.", as Daniel apparently prefers.  Since everyone could commucate if
-+they desired, there's no reason to prevent those backdoors.

I don't neccarily disagree with having common tongues, although having
it to where everyone innately speaks it, I do disagree with it.  It's
ultimately up to you to decide *how* you want the language system to
function.  I model my language system more on how reality has languages
set-up, than not.  Sure, languages can be seen as limiting socialization
in some aspects, but it also increases role-playing.  Aruidin is going
to the ancient tribal people of Turak, who speak their own language
that Aruidin does not speak.  It's vital, however, for Aruidin to convey
his message, for the Turak kill trespassers.  Hence, Aruidin seeks out
someone that has went to Turak and learned the language through some
means; and they quest to Turak together.

-+And, of course, under Daniel's system, mud sex would be quite frustrating... ;-)

Well, if MUD-sex is anything like real sex, then you're supposed to be
taking your time, anyway...

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Think.