Re: Shutdown and Oasis Improvement.

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 09/30/97

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, George wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, John Evans wrote:
>
> >I deciced that if this can be done with a command, then a safeguard could
> >be added to the shutdown command to make sure that the MUD isn't shutdown
> >when there is information that has no been saved to disk. I've killed
> >several rooms or mob descrips with one shutdown command before, and,
> >quite frankly, it's frustrating and avoidable.
>
> Would people prefer that the zones are automatically saved or that the MUD
> prevents shutdowns? (I found the preventing shutdowns to be annoying
> personally, since I'd have to save everything by hand and then shutdown.)

My reasoning for not doing a forced save of data is if a builder really
screws up and trashes out several of his rooms/mobs/objs/etc. we can
reboot and get rid of his mistakes without saving them to disk. If there
is just me and one or two other builders on, that is the best route to
take.

A forced save would save the builder's mistake(s) to disk and he would
have to fix it all by hand.

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>

May the source be with you.