Re: 2hand limit

From: Stephen Arnold (dalamar@CYBERCOM.NET)
Date: 10/02/97

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Co-Sysop wrote:

> There has been a lot of talk lately of the unrealisticness of someone using
> a weapon, a light, a shield and holding an item.  Some people wanted to make
> it so you couldn't use more than 2 of those things at once.  But I have been
> thinking about it a little bit and has anyone realized that shields (or all
> the ones I have seen) aren't designed to be held in a hand?  I might be
> wrong but shields are basically a flat (or curved) board with 2 straps on
> the back.  These straps were designed so the shield would be held with the
> arm between the wrist and the elbow (or one strap on the arm, one in the
> palm of the holders hand).  So you could still hold something and use a
> shield at the same time.  For those of you who are really into realistic
> muds this might be something to consider.  If I thought of it you can bet
> one of your players will think of it sometime too and they might not be
> happy about "unrealistic" limitations in your attempt to add "realistic"
> limitations.  I'm no expert on the subject but when you think about it, a
> person can't deflect a blow with their hand nearly as easily as with their
> arm and held in the hand a shield is much easy to drop.  It all seems pretty
> logical to me.  And also, some lights can be held easily in one finger and
> if you have a sci-fi mud then obviously someone could strap a light on their
> wrist or arm and anywhere else.

        Well, What you are referring to is a buckler:
buckler: A very small shield that fastens on the forearm.

small shield: Carried on the forearm and gripped with the hand. Its light
    weight permits the user to carry other items in that hand.

medium shield: carried the same way as a small shield, however, its
    increased weight prevents the character from using his shield hand for
    other purposes.

body shield or tower shield: massive shield usually reaching from toes to
    chin. Held up by the forearm, it must be held at all times.

                                                #include <Ryan.G>