Re: [code] switch bug (sort of) "Kenneth G. Cavness" at Oct 7, 97 01:27:08 pm

From: Andrew Helm (ashe@IGLOU.COM)
Date: 10/07/97

> If you wish to remove the ability to get mail with a switched char,
> just take it out yourself.

Obviously.

> Your request is not universally approved and
> I don't think that you're making your point well enough for it to become
> universally approved.

I haven't requested anything of anybody. I've informed people on
the list of a bug/possible ethical problem/whatever the hell you want
to call it that I think they may be interested in. Currently anyone
who can switch into another char will be able to read their mail
completely unsupervised and unlogged. It's obviously an unplanned
for side affect of the switch command, and if you want an implementation
of a "mail snooping" command there are much better ways to do it (ways
that don't depend on the character being link-dead, ways that provide
some control over who can read what, ways that log who is
snooping around, and most importantly ways that can prevent
certain people's (like the head implementor's) mail from being
read).

Personally, I don't give a damn if you fix the bug or not. :)
However, people who like the idea of being able to read other's
mail will want to take it out. People who don't like the idea
of reading other people's mail will want to take it out. As
far as I can tell, the only reason to leave it in is because
you just don't care or you're just lazy, which is perfectly
acceptable to me. I don't expect everyone to jump and fix
this bug, especially since it depends on the other char
being link-dead and the offending char being high level
enough to switch (usually you can trust your high-level
people). What I don't understand is why you're taking
such offense at the fact I would suggest people would
want to fix the problem.