Re: Switch/Mail argument "Kenneth G. Cavness" at Oct 7, 97 07:10:03 pm

From: Andrew Helm (ashe@IGLOU.COM)
Date: 10/07/97

> > > Using a bit less tunnel-minded analysis:
> > >
> > > You can see someone's email even if you're not switched into them. Is this
> > > a bug too?
> >
> > No, it's expected behavior. You're getting dangerously close to just
> > arguing over words here.
>
> On the internet, a _written_ medium, words are all we have to go on.

Right. That's why we explain our terms. You have consistently ignored
my attempts at telling you exactly what I mean. I understand we only
communicate by words on the Internet, and I believe in agreeing on
terms. When one person explains there terms and the other refuses to
accept that explanation and uses their own definition of the words in
order to "prove" the person wrong, I call that arguing over words.

[snip]
> > I have said many times
>
> Yes, you've said the same things over, and over, and over. That's more than
> frustrating a lot of us who are trying to understand you.

It's simple. I say that the switch function of stock circle needs fixed.
It's not useful to anyone in it's current state. It also provides the
possibility of unforseen ethics violations. The problems with the
snoop command are well known, and I wouldn't be surprised of most
muds logged it. However, the problems with the switch command and
personal mail are not that well known.

[snip]
> > Whether you think the player's mail
> > is fair game to read or not, the unexpected behavior of the swithc
> > command that allows you to recieve other player's mail when they're
> > link-dead is not at all useful.
>
> It was unexpected behaviour to you; it came as no suprise at all to me
> and several other people on this list.

And? It's still undocumented and relatively unexpected behavior.
Something like snoop is what I would call documented and well known. :)

> > I have already said you can call it whatever you want. It's my assertion
> > that it needs to be changed. More specifically, it's not going to be
>

> Once again, you change words on us from "fixed" to "changed". You really
> need to sit down and think this over before you pop an extemporaneous
> message onto this list.

You know what I mean. I know you know what I mean. You know I know
what you mean. This is getting tedious.