Re: Switch/Mail argument

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 10/07/97

On Tuesday, October 07, 1997 4:08 PM, Andrew Helm [SMTP:ashe@IGLOU.COM] wrote:

<snip>

> It's simple. I say that the switch function of stock circle needs fixed.
> It's not useful to anyone in it's current state. It also provides the
> possibility of unforseen ethics violations. The problems with the
> snoop command are well known, and I wouldn't be surprised of most
> muds logged it. However, the problems with the switch command and
> personal mail are not that well known.

I guess I'll put my 2 cents in here.

1) Thanks for reporting it. As you stated, it is not immediately obvious
that the behavior exists.

2) Fixing the problem would take less time than this message did to
send, not to mention the entire thread.

3) Some people will _not_ fix it, as they want this behavior.

4) This list has more than it's fair share of messages designed to
defend a position, even after that position has been defended to
death.

5) The IMP account on a mud is anagalous (sp?) to the superuser
account on unix. One should expect that security measures are
largely defeated when using such an account.

Is there anything left to discuss on this topic?  If not, let's find something
better to talk about.

--Mallory

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never
expect it.     - Jack Handey