Re: [ Idea ] Shapeshifters... Nathan" at Oct 10, 97 01:56:02 pm

From: Andrew Helm (ashe@IGLOU.COM)
Date: 10/10/97

> I think this is a wickedly cool idea, and limiting actions for it would
> be no harder than for any other special item.

It sounds like a good idea to me too.

> No_Donate, No_Junk, and if you don't want them in containers, stop that.

Hrm. How about if they're going to be junked they turn back into
person form? Also, what if when they're donated it always
suceeds and they end up in the donation room? Although, I suppose
you could have the object destroyed and the player's link dropped
instead.

What happens to the objects in the shapeshifter's inventory when they
shapeshift? As far as containers go, I assume they could be put inside
them but I'm not sure what they ought to see and hear. Actually, I
wonder what they will be able to "see" and "hear" just laying on the
ground. What kind of senses should shapeshifters have when they're
imitating an object? Taste? Touch? etc.  What about senses other
than the normal five?

[snip]
>  If you do, they could maybe jump out, or if they resume their form
> inside the bag, break it, if they resume form in someones inventory,
> they fall to the ground.  The inventory is like a container that doesn't
> need a name, it's automatic.  It's on your person in one form or
> another.

I can understand someone breaking out of a bag but what about a locked
iron chest? If a shapeshifter truly imitates an everyday object then I
see no real reason not to let people put them inside containers, but
it certainly does create a nightmare of a problem. Any good ideas on
how to handle this?