Re: [CODE] [Possible BUG] Thieves and Pick

From: Thibor (roland@INTERPATH.COM)
Date: 10/11/97

Mike Carpenter wrote:

> Im sure this is nothing new, however, I just found out about it.  I havent
> check the FAQ's.  I am just bringing
> this to your attention.  It appears that thieves at level 1 can pick locks
> if they sit there long enough and
> type pick <door, gate,etc..> long enough.  its an easy fix. Just thought
> those who didn't know would like
> to be informed that certain players might be using a small bug to their
> advantage.  I watched a level 1 do it
> myself.
>
> Abram

Now I could be wrong, but I don't think thats a bug at all.  I'm pretty
sure that in class.c, thieves are set to be able to do certain skills
at poor percentages, but can do them nonetheless.  Like steal, backstab,
and maybe pick too?
On a reality check... if you sit at a door long enough, gnaw, hammer,
and
whack at it... eventually youre going to break the lock.  So maybe it
isn't
such a bad thing at all, coupled with the fact that thieves are natively
unintelligent, it's an advatage to balance the class a little more with
your stronger and often smarter warriors.

Morphing into Objects:
If the MUD is heavily roleplay oriented, the advatage of tagging along
with
someone as an object could be tremendous!  Imagine spying on an opposing
clan like that...  Just a simple shield on the wall, or so they think,
and
in the meantime learning of all their battle tactics, and where they
hide
their loot!  But imagine for a moment, if you will, morphing into
bread...
*chomp chomp*

- Thibor Ferenczy
--
        Life is what happens while you're making other plans.

        roland@interpath.com