Re: [Idea] Jumping between muds

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 10/11/97

On Saturday, October 11, 1997 2:20 PM, Daniel Koepke
[SMTP:dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM] wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Gerhard Poul wrote:
>
> -+What are you thinking about jumping between muds (with a portal or a
> magic
> -+door, ...)
> -+
> -+So that Characters can be teleported from one mud to another mud, or
> -+teleport themselves from one to another!
> -+
> -+But this can only be realized with ONE codebase i think...

<snip>

> In other words, you end up with multiple servers acting as
> extensions to the same world; and it's slower and more complex
> than simply having one unified mud.  Unless you can see ways
> around it, and as good an idea as it is, I doubt it's worth your
> while to implement...

You could have alternate personalities between the two worlds. In
essence have a different pfile and do some rent file conversion between
them. Coordinating just the objects could be done, though it wouldn't
be trivial.

Maybe have each mud do a time period. Ancient, Medeival, Current, Future
to keep things as seperate as possible. All the players would have to be
magical or something to explain their ability to switch time periods into
their alternate personas.

Integrating communications and adminstration are doable. The connection
could be handed off to the other mud with minimal overhead and without
the player noticing. If the other mud is down, the portal just won't open and
the spell fails :-)

--Mallory
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never
expect it.     - Jack Handey