Re: Level 1 save

From: George (greerga@DRAGON.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU)
Date: 10/12/97

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, Daniel Koepke wrote:

>That wouldn't stop auto-saving, though.  I think the idea is to

True, didn't think of that, since the MUD auto-saves all new characters
anyway.  Hence all the level 0 characters that get purged.

>prevent people from creating a flood of level 1 characters with
>no purpose.  I do like the idea--stopping people from creating
>worthless level 1 characters--but thoroughly dislike the means
>of preventing it: don't allow new characters to save.  This means

I'd say just run purgeplay after every crash, they are frequent enough in
new muds to get rid of all the level 0 and level 1 people who time out.

>that a new character will have to level or they won't be saved.

So make level 2 require 1 experience point, that way anyone who does more
than just log on and look around can be saved.

>For new characters just learning the game this can take as long
>as a few hours; especially for those new to muds.

Agreed.

>I propose a different way: only require them to play for one
>hour before they quit out.  Then, automatically purge level 1
>characters that haven't played in more than a week.  That way,

Just run purgeplay from autorun. (preferably with my patch that prevents
purgeplay from trashing the pfile.)

>Of course, on occassion, players might need to go away for a
>while, so you might want to create a PLR_VACATION flag so that
>they are spared auto-purging, and then add a "show vacation"

That is what cryo-renting does.

>command so you can see all the players that are being spared
>auto-purging (and possibly the last time they logged in)...
>Perhaps remove PLR_VACATION whenever the person logs in like the
>rent/cryogenic flag...

I believe purgeplay will inform you of cryo-rented people it skipped
erasing.  Although you could make a 'show cryo' command if you really
wanted to.

>Daniel Anton Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:- [Nether]

Ha! I have an extra 'h' and 'y' in my middle name. ;)