Re: Jesus walked on water...

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 10/15/97

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Cris Jacobin wrote:

>         If you go to to river off the levee, and donate your boat nothing
> happens besides you being stuck in the room.  If you drop a heavy item such
> as 10,000 coins, it doesn't sink.  Jesus might have walked on water, but I
> doubt he had an encumbrance approaching 400 ;)

As far as items sinking... I haven't though of that. Perhaps that will
just sink and disappear into nothingness. *shrug*

For players, though, if they are swimming in water, then they make a
swimming check every 10 seconds when player_update() is called. If
failed, they sink a bit, inhale water and take damage. If they are
underwater, and not affected by WATERBREATH, then they take damage. If
they are in a room that is water/no-swim, and don't have a boat, then
they automatically go under the surface and take damage from inhaled
water. There is no donation on my mud, so the only way to lose a boat
while on water is to junk it, get it stolen, or get it destroyed. If
someone is foolish enough to allow one of those to happen while on
water... They better be ready to drown or find a magical way of
travelling from that room.

Yeah... There may be a few minor flaws about objects sinking or not, but
I'm not going to be so anal about things like that and code in a flag or
somesuch for ITEM_WILL_FLOAT. :)

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>

May the source be with you.