Re: Spell durations (was: Swimming,falling,flyinganddrowning...)

From: Edward Glamkowski (EGlamkowski@MATHEMATICA-MPR.COM)
Date: 10/17/97

Along similar lines, I remember on one mud (Moosehead? FL?
don't remember), when you cast spells like sanc or armor or
bless, the effect was set on the "victim" indefinately, but
it drained mana on the caster.  So an armor spell might
cost 5 mana per turn per victim the caster had cast it on.

The caster could turn these spell off by using a 'dispel'
command.  If the victim and the caster were not in the
same zone, the effect wore off on the next tick.
If the caster ran out of mana, *all* effects by that
caster wore off on the next tick.
I was very fond of the system, but it doesn't present
some balancing problems which can only be fixed over
time and with lots of observation.

Edward Glamkowski, Programmer           Mathematica Policy Research
EGlamkowski@mathematic-MPR.COM          Princeton, NJ
                http://www.mathematica-mpr.com/

        Il dort. Quoique le sort fut pour lui bien etrange,
        Il vivait. Il mourut quand il n'eut plus son ange.
        La chose simplement d'elle-meme arriva,
        Comme la nuit se fait lorsque le jour s'en va.