Re: Jesus walked on water...

From: Erwin S. Andreasen (erwin@PIP.DKNET.DK)
Date: 10/17/97

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Andrew Helm wrote:

> If a player is over water don't let them drop their stuff. Instead,
> require them to type "drop!" in order to drop an item no matter

It's IMHO a very nice thing to implement generally, requiring dangerous
commands to to be used in a special way to be used. I use a way Nathan
Yospe suggested once, using "anyway" e.g.:

> kill joe

Attacking Joe may give you a KILLER flag, since he is out of your level
range. Use kill joe ANYWAY or just ANYWAY to override.

> kill joe anyway

You are now a KILLER! That didn't help you at all.

and a dozen other things. When interpreting the command, if "anyway" is
the last word on the command, a bit is set on the character (unless this
is a string command like SAY, TELL). In the commands something like this
is done:

if (!IS_SET(ch->state, STATE_OVERRIDE))
{
        override_inform ("Attacking %s might give you a killer flag.",
                vic->name);
        return;
}

The last part of the message, including the command is generated by
override_inform.

This can be used for lots of dangerous things, enhancing the parser with
little effort.