Re: [Offtopic] observations about MSVC and win32 compilers

From: David Klasinc (bigwhale@CAPYBARA.SK-PTTSC.LJ.EDUS.SI)
Date: 10/26/97

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Tony Skinner wrote:

> >Not for want of yet another UNIX vs. Windows thread, as that is hardly
> >my point (whatever you're comfortable with is the best for you), but I
> >have to wonder about the, "would give up too much efficiency," line.
>
> The ability of an IDE to consume memory is by no judge of it's efficiency.
 No, of course not... it's very efficient, that you press CTRL-F or go
with the mouse on the file | find or click the icon for searching in the
toolbar and then wait like 10 seconds for the dialog to pop up (remember
we're low on memory, since the MSCV requires 24megs, we're running it,
there also mud running in the background, becasue you're testing
something, also, you have mailer running and maybe even netscape (oh
sorry, it's Internet Exflawrer) and you havd 32 megs of ram) while you
fear for the disk drive, becasue it sounds like the heads have jammed or
something... Oh, I don't want to hear what happens you you try to open
another file or ,aybe even, oh god, compile something!!

> The efficiency in question is raised from the fact that under Unix you must
... snip snip ...
> not refreshing from the dull typing.
Dull typing? Right! *cackle* You know, the movement of the  hand from
keyboard to the mouse takes time... How many things can you do only with
mouse there? Typing with one hand is dull... BAH!

> Though I find your argument valid, I must decline to agree from experience
> between the Unix environment as opposed to the intuitive MSVC interface

Go and take a look how the NT DNS server interface looks like... Very
nice, but when you have to create a classless DNS server you're stuck...
:P

David!