Re: Titles

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 10/28/97

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, El Diablo wrote:

> Does anyone have a patch for titles, so that if the first character is
> punctuation,
> it appears after the chars name, and if it isn't then a space is added
> in between?
> ... Like ROM's do?
>
> Also, does anyone have a patch for abbreviating like in ROM's?  So you
> can abbreviate
> everything from names to items to mobs, etc...?

Does anyone have a patch for life? Does anyone have a patch for newbies?
Does anyone have a patch that will force someone else to TRY to code
something before giving up and asking for a pre-done patch?

What I'm trying to say is that most people here post something along the
lines of:

I tried....
It did this....
But I wanted this...
Here's the code...
What did I miss???

Or:
I was trying to do....
and it mostly worked....
But when I do this it crashes....
Here's code....
Here's gdb output...
How did I goof???

Those types of posts are WONDERFUL!!! They show that the person tried to
code on their MUD before coming to the list for help. Those people that
post:

Where is the patch for X?
Where is the patch for Y?
Where is the patch for Z?

Well... Those get on my friggin nerves. If you want to know if a patch
exists, then check the FAQ. It points to the main circle site and Alex's
main Circle site. Those sites point to all known Circle support web sites
and ftp sites. If you don't find it at any of the above.... To F'in Bad. You
have to write it yourself. Hope your fingers don't cramp from typing more
than:
patch < filename.patch

I'll step off my box now and let someone else hear it. Sorry for going
off on a tirade.

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>

May the source be with you.