Re: Circle 3.0 beta patchlevel 12 suggestions

From: Edward Glamkowski (EGlamkowski@MATHEMATICA-MPR.COM)
Date: 10/30/97

        I'm looking through the bpl12 code, and I'm in
class.c and notice something that has always rather annoyed
me (which I change for my own mud) - the rather artificial
limitation on warriors and thieves in terms of learned
level for their skills.
(In fact, that entire prac_params matrix bothers me.)

        Why shouldn't warriors and thieves be able to learn
the skills of their trades as well as mages and clerics can
theirs?
        I always set everyone to 100% for learned level.

        I would also propse a new function to use in any and
all skills, something like:

/* returns 1 on success, 0 on failure */
int make_skill_roll(int skill, int modifier) {
  int percent = number(1, 101);

/* Need to protect against negative modifiers that could *
 * take a skill below 1, in which case percent (with its *
 * minimum value of 1) will always be greater than that  *
 * skill.                                                */
  if (GET_SKILL(ch, skill) <= 0)
    return 0;

  if (percent > (GET_SKILL(ch, skill) + modifier))
    return 1;
  else
    return 0;
}

        While this isn't anything particularly earth-shaking,
it would make the do_<skill> code easier to read (imo),
and also allows the imp to universally change how skills
are rolled against without having to change every
individual skill.

        And one thing I noticed was that I had added a new
class, and until I could be bothered to create a new
guild for the class, I wanted to let it use an existing
guild master.  So I added an entry to the guild_info
table, but it didn't work.  Specifically, the guild
guard wouldn't let the character pass.
I tried to do:

  {CLASS_MAGIC_USER,    3017,   SCMD_SOUTH},
  {CLASS_CLERIC,        3004,   SCMD_NORTH},
  {CLASS_THIEF,         3027,   SCMD_EAST},
  {CLASS_WARRIOR,       3021,   SCMD_EAST},
  {CLASS_DRUID,   3004, SCMD_NORTH},

        I was too lazy to fix the guild_guard code, so I just
removed the guards instead ;)
        Still, I think it would be a Good Thing(tm) if the
stock code allowed more than one type of class to pass
through a guild guard.
        Perhaps this is another chance to use the
find_class_bitvector function :)  It could also be the
foundation for a sentinel type mob proc (of which there is
one on the snippet site(? ftp?))