Spell Maker(NOT: "How do I make spell?")

From: Adam Duke (aduke@SCRI.FSU.EDU)
Date: 10/30/97

 Anybody ever played The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall? In case you havn't,
upon reaching a certain rank in the Mage's Guild you get access to a spell
maker. This man lets you create your own spells based on certain
perameters... a damage spell(generic/fire/ice/electric) protective
spell, healing spell, etc etc... The stronger the spell the more it cost
and the more mana it would cost to cast it... of course you could fiddle
around with the exact settings... if you were extremely rich you could
make a good spell that didn't cost TOO much mana. You get the idea though
it balanced it out based on power of the spell itself, mana cost, and gold
cost. I'm sure this isn't exactly a revolutionary idea, but I've never
seen anything like it implemented in a mud. Anybody ever seen it done or
written one before? The only way I can think of doing it is having a set
of files for each player's create spells...

circle30pl12/lib/spells/P-T/sjrak.spells:
#
flame strike~   Name
7 8 3~          7d8+3
40 30 2~        30-40 mana with a 2 mana level difference

You get the point. Any other ideas on how this could be done? Or has
anybody ever done it before on a circlemud?

                                                -Adam Duke
                                              aduke@scri.fsu.edu