Re: Bpl13 suggestion

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 10/30/97

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Daniel Koepke wrote:

> More seriously, I'm all for entirely removing the auto title thing
> from stock.

I think that I would have to agree with Daniel on this one. I removed the
titles from mine, and most people have asked "how do I remove?" and very
few have asked "how do I add more/change titles?".

This would indicate to me that automatic titles are unpopular. Just make
the only automatically assigned title the one that is there when the
character is made. I did this by removing the calls to set_title
everywhere but in: do_title(), do_set(), do_start().

In do_start it does:
  sprintf(buf, "the %s %s", RACE_NAME(ch), CLASS_NAME(ch));
  set_title(ch, buf);

In set_title() I did:
  if (title == NULL)
    sprintf(title, "the %s %s", RACE_NAME(ch), CLASS_NAME(ch));

  if (strlen(title) > MAX_TITLE_LENGTH)
    title[MAX_TITLE_LENGTH] = '\0';

  if (GET_TITLE(ch) != NULL)
    free(GET_TITLE(ch));

  GET_TITLE(ch) = str_dup(title);

There was some other stuff that I did, but it wasn't too major. This info
is here to show how easy it would be to do, and to show those that don't
know how, how to do it. :)

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>

May the source be with you.