Re: Bpl13 suggestion

From: Erwin S. Andreasen (erwin@PIP.DKNET.DK)
Date: 10/31/97

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Ron Cole wrote:

> Something to consider if you want to leave them in, and optional, would be to
> load them from a text file.  Make it reloadable, like motd and such.  If the

I've extended this concept further to a whole "file system" of text files
(that aren't really text files; it's just one big database file) - that
looks like a standard unix filesystem to admins online.

All of the text entries can have their individuals lines accessed (e.g.
you can do something like get_entry("sys/titles/mage", 1); to get the 1st
line of the file sys/titles/mage. They are indexed, so the location of the
beginning of each line is kept.

Those entries can be edited online and are used for many different things.
Plus, I don't need to write another Load_XYZZY and Save_XYZZY and
Edit_XYZZY routine - they all use the standard online text editor for
editing.

Things like MOTD, IMOTD, adverbs for socials, possible appearances for
hair/eye color etc. players can pick, messages mob say when they attack
someone they remembered, death messages sent when a certain spell/skill is
used to kill with, dreams, starting equipment for new players - all
defined there, all online editable.