Re: [Newbie] who list on an alternate port... "Nov 2, 97 07:01:21 pm"

From: Steve Thompson (stevet@VT.EDU)
Date: 11/03/97

> I am wondering how hard it would be to have the mud listen on a second port, and
> upon connection, simply dump a who list (that a level one would see) and
> disconnect.

It is actually not that hard.  I don't know if it is stock SillyMUD, but you
might want to check that.  Look for something called "whod".  There are two
styles in fact.  One is built into the mud itself, the mud controls the whod
connections and the like.  The other is a seperate daemon that the mud
connects to and says: "Bob disconnected", "Charlie connected" and the daemon
keeps the list.

> FieryMud.org (4000 for MUD, 4001 for who list) is the only MUD I've seen this on,
> and I'd like to add it to my CircleMUD.

Both BlackMUD (a Silly derivative (meeko.eecs.berkeley.edu 1997 (whod 1998))
and Dark Pawns (CircleMUD pawns.guru.org 4000 (whod 4001)) have this feature.
Both are of the first style as well.  When I included it, the 2nd style was
the first that I came accross, but it was a pain in the arse :-)

-Steve

--
   Stephen C. Thompson
   stevet@vt.edu