Re: [Lazy] calculation order..

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 11/06/97

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, John Evans wrote:

->Another thing to consider is the natural tendency to dodge or get out of
->the way of something that MIGHT hurt just a little. I do it all the time
->on the tourney lists and battlegrounds of the SCA. Heck, I've probably
->dodged more attacks that would have missed that ones that wouldn't have.

A (fairly large) exception to this rule are Japanese swordfighters,
who are taught first to dodge just to get out the way (i.e., move
completely out of the way of it, even if you only had to move a tiny
step to the left), then to dodge only enough to get out of the way
(don't move your whole body if you only need to shift your hips), and
then finally taught to dodge in such a way that you can affectively
retalliate.  The emphasis being on first learning to get out of the
way, then learning to perfect that, and then using that to help you
offensively, not just defensively.

daniel koepke / dkoepke@california.com