Re: OLC HELP!

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 11/07/97

On Thursday, November 06, 1997 2:43 PM, Nathan Ridley
[SMTP:legendd@CYBERELECTRIC.NET.AU] wrote:
> >Am I the only one who doesn't like OLC? I like to be able to keep track of
> >the world, where everything is and what has currently been made. If OLC is
> >in, anyone at IMM status and higher goes haywire making stuff and i
> >completely lose track of everything...
> >
> >Nathan

For my mud OLC is an absolute necessity.

Things like terrain, weapon editors, social editors, help editors,
static text editors, script editing, skill package editing and the
like just beg for OLC IMHO.

The main ability OLC gives you that a docs file and manual editing
don't is the ability to allow people to build who have _no_ interest
in not being able to see what they are making as they make it. In
addition, I don't know of anyone but a "computer type" who would
be willing to fiddle with a set of zone files and be happy about it.
Just the send/install/reboot phase alone would cause problems,
or alternatively you can trade that for the problems of allowng the
builder to upload zone files themselves *shudder*

OLC is also capable of insuring that values entered are in range
for that property and a method of insuring balance in the options
selected -- the olc can refuse to allow a 100d100 sword, for example
and that code can all be compiled into a neat routine, with informative
messages, rather than be scattered throughout the load routines.

The solution for a successful OLC, as has been pointed out here
already, is that you need a policy, and someone(s) to
implement/enforce it.)

Mine runs something like this:

1) present a detailed plan
2) build it
3) Present it to the QC committee for comments.
4) get the head builder to sign off on it.
5) Let the mortals loose in it.

The existing OLC's will all allow this policy, but there are
also a number of improvements you can make in granting
finer access controls to your admin folks.

Don't forget reporting, though that's isn't a strictly OLC
function. I personally like sorted reports of weapons by
damage and armor by DR (damage resistance) and HP :-)

--Mallory

Neither sweat, nor blood, nor frustration, nor lousy manuals
nor missing parts, nor wrong parts shall keep me from my task.
  --Christopher Hicks