Re: Am I alone...? [OLC Promo]

From: Chris Proctor (cjp@YOYO.CC.MONASH.EDU.AU)
Date: 11/08/97

> ->I didn't say it was almost as fast. I said it was FAST. Obviously this
> ->didn't get the point across.
>
> Your point got across fine.  Mine apparently didn't.  OLC will be
> faster than doing it by hand, unless you're using cut-and-paste.

Obviously some people have had different experiences to me.
For me, writing the bulk of the object in a few seconds in a text editor
(I mean really, how long does it take to type in a line of numbers?) is
just fine.
Basically building is pretty simple with the format I'm using, so I'm
going to stick to it.

> ->Speaking personally, even the few seconds of lag I get on my MUD makes
> ->modifying objects a hassle.
>
> Did you say a few seconds lag?  Either you've got 100+ players on your
> MUD all fighting simultaneously, your code is horribly inefficient, or
> you're exaggerating your situation.

What can I say? For those of you fortunate enough to be running your mud
on a server connected to a T1 or similar, count your blessings!

Mine's running through a 33.6k link, and sharing with 3 other muds as
well as other stuff.

On a bad day we have lag bubbles of a minute or longer.
For some reason it doesn't seem to deter the players much though ;-)

Basically, if you don't have a good link, you get lag. *shrugs*

Obviously if I was hugely worried I'd move the mud, but I'd rather have
the server I'm on now, with an admin who doesn't mess around with the
code or the players, and take the lag as the price.

Q:  How many IBM CPU's does it take to
    execute a job?
A:  Four; three to hold it down, and one to
    rip its head off.