Re: Circle's net protocol

From: Ron Hensley (ron@CROSS.DMV.COM)
Date: 11/10/97

> >ptah.lnf.kth.se 4242
>

> Hrm..... I telneted just fine to this mud, are you sure it is UDP?
> If so, these claims about needing a special client cant be true.
> *ponder*

Yes its UDP. Though they use a unique method. There internal network
overseas was apparantly overloaded some years back by direction TCP
connecs to them. So therei solution was to put up sites around the globe,
reflectors if you will.

We telnet to the reflectors, you may pick any of a dozen, using TCP.
The refelctor itself is connected overseas to the mud itself, using UDP

I have never seen any problem with it at all, and they claim there
internal network has much less load via handling the UDP traffic, and
also the the UDP packets make it long distances such as over seas much
faster using UDP *shrug*

    *   Ron Hensley                     ron@dmv.com                   *
    *   Network Administrator           http://www.dmv.com/~ron       *
    *                                   PGP Key at WWW Page           *
    *   DelMarVa OnLine                 749-7898 Ext. 403             *