Re: 12 year old and in distress

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 11/12/97

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Uncouth Youth wrote:

> hi, yes i know i'm young but thats why im here,
> i've allways been told not to be scared of asking so here goes..
> my father has Borland c++ builder installed on his p.c and i was wondering
> if that would be good enough to compile circle mud???? and if so what
> changes would have to be made? i would be gratefull for any help, as with
> all things i like to jump in at the deep end and tinker around with things..
> thanks very much.
> Yours
> UNCOUTH YOUTH

First off... You have to be running Windows 95, Linux, or some other 32
bit OS. DOS (Windows 3.x is NOT an operating system) just won't cut it.

If you're still with me, then you need to download the code from
ftp.circlemud.org. You're looking for a file named circle30bpl12.zip. Unzip
it and follow the documentation... Another file that you MUST read and
STUDY is called README.WIN. It's in all caps because it is important
that you read it.

You should also invest a bit of money into a book or two on how to code
in C (not C++), and spend some time studying (not just reading) them and
learning C because it is impossible to code in C without knowing the
language.

That should get you _started_ on the road to a happy, wonderful life as
an abused and unappreciated Implementor. :)

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>

May the source be with you.