Re: Regarding Medit Crashes

From: Akuma/Chris Baggett/DOOMer (doomer@BAYOU.COM)
Date: 11/12/97

At 03:36 PM 11/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Akuma/Chris Baggett/DOOMer wrote:
>
>>well the first two times after i run my mud, i couldn't figure out why i
>>wasn't even getting the error message.  Then i realized that it was b/c i
>>wasn't medit'ing a NEW mobile.  well, anyway, i finally got all setup, and
>>tried my Damndest to Crash the Mud with Medit.
>
>If you're using v1.5 you should not be able to. :)

I'm not using 1.5, or the  #define I_CRASH addition.  I'm the type of person
who likes to figure out crashes instead of just commenting them out
(no offense to you, it's a good addition for this particular problem)

>>  Well, to my suprise, I couldn't crash the mud with Medit,
>
>That's cool.

  Trust me, I thought it was even cooler.

>>What was the last known version of  libc (or whatever) that is known
>>to crash on the FREE(mob_index); section, or a bit afterwards?
>
>Everything after 5.3.12 or something like that will crash (because it is
>the right thing to do).

  AFTER?!?!?!   Or do you mean BEFORE?  as in
Everything BEFORE 5.3.12 or something like that will crash.

>>is using 5.4.33 or something like that, i'm not real sure how to find it.
>
>ls -l /lib/libc.so.5.*

did that as soon as i read the email, and this is what i got
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       573140 Aug 21 20:10 /lib/libc.so.5.4.33
so i'm assuming it is  5.4.33 :-P

>I use 5.4.33 for my testing and soon I'll go to 5.4.38 or 5.4.39 (can't
>decide...5.4.39 isn't officially released yet) :).

heh, 5.4.39?  i can't even get my sysadmin to change over to 5.4.38 :-P
Any ideas?

>>anyway, any insight as to why this finally works (and didn't before)?
>
>OasisOLC v1.5?

  Nope, don't use it.  I've still got like 1.2 or something like that (I
don't remember)
but it's heavily modified.

>>I've been thinking possibly it may crash on some systems b/c not enough RAM
>>or something (that may have sounded like a statement that would have come
>>from someone stupider than I, but it was all i could come up with at
12:30am)

>It caused by any memory writes to that which you do not own or freeing it.
>(My copy_room code in the generic olc code is currently very fond of them.)

fond of the crashes (memorywrites to stuff it doesn't own?) or fond
of the freeing of memory it doesn't own? (or both :-P)

just so i know, because as soon as you get all the GenOLC functions working,
i'm gonna put 'em in.
I had previously gone through and created a NEWROOM function (basically
your add_room)
but, that was because i never thought anyone was TRULY going to fix
OasisOLC :-P

>http://www.van.ml.org/~greerga

Great website, needs to be updated though :-P
(where's the send_to_zone() change for the weather patch?)

READ IT, KNOW IT, REMEMBER IT, And you should never have a problem on this
list.
  | "The poets talk about love, but what I talk about is DOOM, |
  |      because in the end, DOOM is all that counts." -       |
  |   Alex Machine/George Stark/Stephen King, The Dark Half    |
  |        "Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE, Just IMPROBABLE"            |
  |   "Easier Said Than Done, But Better Done Than Said..."    |