Re: imms and spell levels

From: StormeRider (silk@ICI.NET)
Date: 11/13/97

At 08:10 PM 11/11/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello folks,
>Something I never quite liked about the magic system in Circle is that at
>some level or another you gain ALL the spells and skills in the game.  I
>just don't like the idea of a fighter knowing call lightning, at any
>level; it throws off the feeling of a fighting character, specially since
>I'm a person who leans toward rp muds.
True. Thing is on most of the muds, the immortals are supposed to be people
who are masters of EVERYTHING. Leaning to one class or another but still
able to work miracles in other classes. Make it so you cant mort lvl to the
lvl which you get those, but then go from there.

>Any ideas on how to get around this.  I haven't looked at the new patch
>level, so I don't know how it's done in 12 if JE changed it.  I had one
>more thought on how to do it:  Just check for the lvl the spell starts for
>the character's class.  If it's set to the top lvl, then treat it the same
>as attempting to cast something you never get in the class.  Actually,
>that's pretty simple.  Can anyone see any looming probs?

Actually the thing I like hte least about stock is that every character of
a certain class will have the same skills. *shudders* I hate that.
Personally I am working on skill selection at creation, where you pick the
major skills/spells you want, and then when you get to the appropriate
level they will auto up to 1% rather than 0%. Im thinking I would have to
set their skills to -1 to say they have the skill but arent the right level
yet, that make any sense at all?

StormeRider                  --- http://www.windsofstorm.net/wos/
silk@ici.net                 --- telnet://cmoo.com:4004