Re: [INFO] Patches, FTP, and flying elephants.

From: Daniel O. Durant (dodurant@BELLSOUTH.NET)
Date: 11/15/97

Franco Gasperino wrote:

>   Well, through everything in life, I have found that a few good examples
> can
> do wonders far above and beyond what an explanation can do. But
> reverse engineering is also a terrible waste of time. I think that if there
> were
> fewer zones, fewer implimented spells and repetitive skills, and simply
> some more documentation, with explanation and a few examples, everyone
> would have a much easier and more efficient time learning it. The
> documentation
> for building areas is great. Explanations, examples, the works.
>   The problem you run into with doing special proceedures is that there is
> no right way to do it, no standard. Even trying to make a generic template
> would be a narrow explanation of what they could do.
>   It would be (in my opinion) best to rip them all out, and give a few
> generic
> examples in a file, while explaining where the proceedures are called from,
> in battle, in walking around, in response to commands entered in a room,
> ect. This would probably save people time from hunting down where to
> find the mechanics of how they are called.
>
>    Franco Gasperino
>    Cutting Edge Communications
>    http://www.cet.com/
>    509-444-INET
>    awe@cet.com

  Good idea. Now that I think about it, the real problem with CircleMUD is it's
lack of documentation. Maybe if we all complain about it long enough, it'll be
fixed in a later version. I hope to God the coders.doc file will be completed
at least, so I can learn how to go back and do some of that stuff right.

Dan Durant