Re: What in gods name . . .

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 11/15/97

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Chuck Reed wrote:

->Can anybody tell me what in gods name this means:
->
->make: *** File `act.informative.o' has modification time in the future
->Cause I haven't a clue.

It's simple enough to figure out.  I don't know how it would happen,
but it's fairly easy to understand.  make keeps track of what files
it needs to recompile by using the modification time.  It appears that
somehow or another, act.informative.o has a modification time in the
future.  That is, when make went to check when act.informative.o was
last saved (or when it's modification time was last chnanged), it
found out that the last time it was modified is AFTER the current
time.  This is generally accepted as being an error of some sort
(unless your kernel can time travel).

The solution to this is to either 'touch' the problematic .o files
(giving them a modified date of the present, thus make will recreate
anything dependant upon act.informative.o), or delete the problematic
.o files and make will recreate them.

daniel koepke / dkoepke@california.com