Re: Ascii pfiles file access routines.

From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 11/21/97

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Patrick J. Dughi wrote:

>         Later, in load_char, we see this same file accessed in the
> following way:
>
>     sprintf(filename, "%s/%c/%s", PLR_PREFIX, *player_table[id].name,
>
>         Question1:  How did it work before w/o de-capitalizing?

Notice that when loading, it uses player_table[id].name, which is assumed
to always be all lower case.

>         Question2:  Aside from opening another file handle, why would this
> board saving function cause the fopen to not work, in regards to question
> 1?  Even if it opened the other file handle (only one, and it closes it
> too..), it still ought to continue functioning as it did before...

I don't have a clue.  I've never seen that happen, so it may be something
in your board routines that's different from pl11.  I think the
player_table list is lowercase to speed up searches, which may mean that
if you've got caps in someone's name, it won't recognize them when they
try to log back on even if you open the file ok.  I guess what I'd do is
check for IS_UPPER(player_table[id].name) and if true, knock all the caps
back down to size.

Sam