Re: [CODE] [NEWBIE(I think)]

From: George (greerga@DRAGON.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU)
Date: 11/22/97

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Chuck Reed wrote:

>I have seen a lot of new stuff in C, but one thing is just really escaping
>me.  I cannot seem to figure out all the *->ch or *->* or whatever.  What in
>gods name does this "->" mean?  I have looked in my on-line C tutorials and
>I can't seem to find it.

Looks like the use of a pointer to me, literally and figuratively.

* - I'm not going to try to explain here, it changes meaning, the C book
        will have it in there.

When you are accessing a pointer to a structure, you use -> for the members
but for a static structure you use .

ch->player.name

ch is pointer
player is not a pointer

This should be under the 'pointer' section of the book...  The question is
more appropriate for comp.lang.c than here though.