Re: [CODE] A crash message

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 11/30/97

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Chuck Reed wrote:

>I recently got this crash message
>
>SYSERR: CHECKPOINT shutdown: tics not updated
>
>and have no clue to what it may mean.  Any clues?

You have an infinite loop, congratulations.

As a side note, I recently used threads to automatically restart the
processing thread if it encountered an infinite loop.  Jeremy wondered what
the usefulness of that method would be and if it would be worth it.  I'd
just like to throw out that I'd MUCH rather have the MUD say 'Processing
thread in infinite loop...restarting' than just that message above.  Sure
the world might be incoherent later but if you're in the infinite loop
chances are it's done what it wanted to and if not, hey, you have a message
saying you have an infinite loop somewhere to fix anyway.