Re: Changing World Files [Offsides as well]

From: StormeRider (silk@ICI.NET)
Date: 12/02/97

Two offside comments at the bottom as well.

At 08:54 PM 12/2/97 +0100, you wrote:
>On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, John Evans wrote:
>
>> Instead of manually adding in all those zeroes and maybe missing one or
>> sticking one in the wrong spot and just really FUBARing your world files,
>> there is an easier and faster way.
>
>> Change X_save_to_disk to save the new data, but don't change the parse_X
>> in db.c.  make reboot mud save ALL zones, objs, mob, room, shops, etc...
>> with Xedit save XX Change the parse_X code in db.c to read in the new
>> data.  make reboot mud
>
>It will also make it impossible to read the older areas - say you have to
>restore one from a backup for example. It also requires a lot of twiddling

That's why every time I make a change like that once I'm done fixing thing
in world files I back them all up.

>on the production machine - how many people actually edit the source on
>their MUD server via a modem connection rather than edit and test
>everything in the comfort of their own homes? :)

Well, actually, honestly, I do. *grins* Just wish my roommate would hurry
up and finish making the Linux machine so I _DON'T_ have to do that anymore.

>A better way is to use versioning, which also retains backwards
>compatibility with older area files (for reading).
>

>http://www.abandoned.org/drylock/faq/index.shtml
>
>Look for the Versioning part. The FAQ is geared towards MERC derivatives,
>but some stuff will apply to any Diku.
>
>Shortly:
>
>if area version >= 1 // Version 1 and above have this extra number
>        Read this extra number
>else
>        Assign a good default value

Interesting idea. I think I like it. Transferring the message to my To Add
folder. =)

Offside Comment:
Joined the CircleMUD webring lately, http://www.windsofstorm.net/circle or
rather, http://207.180.6.249/circle (*since my internic bill is gonna be
late...*). A now slightly older version of my guild code in _non-patch_
format is there (guild.c, gedit.c, structs.h, utils.h, and olc.c for you to
ponder over).

Work's slowed down a little bit right now because I have to figure out
something; namely how to change stats on someone's file offline... ever
since I put in ASCII pfiles my set file hasn't worked, and that's what I
was planning on hacking for the join_to/remove_from guild_offline functions.

Second offside comment: [directed to Daniel Koepke]
This has been one of the compiler warnings on my MUD since almost day one
when I put in your color code system. It works beautifully, no problems, I
just want to be able to compile it and not see a warning sometime in the
fairly near future. =)

interpreter.c:1537: warning: passing arg 1 of `interpret_colors' discards
`const' from pointer target type

And the offending line (repeated a few times on others as well) is:
       SEND_TO_Q(GREETINGS, d); (ANSI does the same as well)
SEND_TO_Q being defined in comm.h as:

#define SEND_TO_Q(txt, d)       \
  write_to_output(interpret_colors(txt, (d->character && \
    (PRF_FLAGGED(d->character, PRF_COLOR_1) ||     \
     PRF_FLAGGED(d->character, PRF_COLOR_2)) ? TRUE : FALSE)), d)

and interpret colors defined in comm.h as:

char    *interpret_colors(char *, bool);

Any suggestions? Not too terribly important but... =)

StormeRider                  --- http://www.windsofstorm.net/wos/
silk@ici.net                 --- telnet://cmoo.com:4004