Re: [CODE] A running problem

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 12/02/97

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Chuck Reed wrote:

>Brandon from this list mailed me asking for help in reverting from 210
>levels back to 66 since he used my levels doc from the circlemud page.  He
>is running a win95 circlemud and is experiencing a wierd problem that we
>couldn't conquer in about an hour.  When he tries to run the executable, it
>quits initializing the game at the line:

   byte level;         /* PC / NPC's level                     */

byte (if signed) = -128 <-> 127

You have a couple different options:
1) Make the 'char' type default to unsigned     (not recommended)
2) Change the 'byte' to 'ubyte'. (0-255 levels)
3) Change 'byte' to 'int' (-32768-32767 levels) (pfile wipe)
4) Have only 127 levels or less.

In my own mud I changed the 'byte' to 'int' and didn't worry about things
after the player file wipe.  Your 'int' may vary though, I get -2.1 billion
to 2.1 billon on Linux since int == long int.