Re: [CODE] That guy's idea of alternate room descs

From: bruce (joshcrawford@YAHOO.COM)
Date: 12/03/97

Why not just use the string-parser code on the ftp site? It's pretty
flexible. (I'm sure you'll want more then just INT and WIS in the
future)

Just make a room flag ROOM_PARSER and if the room is flagged, send it
through the parser.

Then in your room desc have something like [? int < 10:stupid person's
description\? int >= 10:smart person's description]

---Chuck Reed <creed@I-55.COM> wrote:

> Ok, someone mentioned afew letters back something about an alternate
room
> description idea based on the characters ability scores.
Specificly, wisdom
> and intelegence.  I have come to think that this is a WONDERFUL
idea.  I
> have started working on coding this, and this is what I have so far.
 I want
> to set up two new room flags called ROOM_HIDDEN_INT and
ROOM_HIDDEN_WIS.
> Also, i want to add a new variable in room_data or whatever it is.
I will
> call it extra_desc
> and it will replace world[ch->in_room].description with
> world[ch->in_room].extra_desc whenever the character has the right
scores.
> I am unsure how to do just a FEW things however.  I have the code to
> decipher when to send the alternate desc but i don't know how to set
up the
> alt desc files.  I want to use a file called extra_desc.desc and
just set up
> any necessary alternate descs in that.  So, if there is anyone who
feels
> like giving any suggestions or ideas, please tell me!  And, as
always, when
> I'm done I'll offer a step-by-step document to you all on it if you
want it.
> Thanks.
>
> Chuck Reed

==
<-- I apologize for any formatting problems as -->
<-- I am stuck using Yahoo! mail at the moment -->
<-- bruce - bruce@audiophile.com               -->
<-- http://www.AudioPhile.com/bruce            -->