Re: Meta-editor?

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 12/03/97

On Wednesday, December 03, 1997 6:57 PM, Aaron Miller
[SMTP:archmage@CRYOGEN.COM] wrote:
> >        Don't know what else to call it.  Has anyone created an editor
> >which allows you to (from within the game) change the levels required to
> >assign certain flags, etc from within the editors?  Like, say I don't want
> >new builders to be able to assign items with spells, or player affects -
> >normally, I'd just hard code it, but i realized that this dosen't work out
> >very well, since there are SO many things to have to deal with, and having
> >to add unique code for each part, and each flag individually is well,
> >wasteful.  Anyone every try this?
> The closest thing that comes to mind is SMAUGs built-in editors. I'm not
> endorsing SMAUG (messy and completely un documented) but perhaps you could
> port something from there, or get ideas? Anyhow..

I created an 'automatic scoring routine' for objects. When a builder finishes
editing
the object, but before they can save the changes, a screen pops up and tells
them what the minimum price, minimum weight, and does various checks to
insure that things are consistent. It's pretty much automatic, but with a bit
of
work you could add level based rejection of certain flags, etc.

--Mallory

Neither sweat, nor blood, nor frustration, nor lousy manuals
nor missing parts, nor wrong parts shall keep me from my task.
  --Christopher Hicks