Re: [CODE] Help

From: Hans H. Hjort (hjort@S-96-226.RESNET.OHIO-STATE.EDU)
Date: 12/06/97

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, Chuck Reed wrote:

> Umm, you are really confusing me.  Daniel sent a letter saying that to have
> an array of strings, I needed this:
>
> char *abil_desc_parse[] = {
>     "This is one string.",
>     "This is another string.",
>     "This is the last one."
>   };
>
> And this is what I already had:
>
> char *abil_desc_parse = {
> "blah blah blah blah blah \r\n
>  blah blah blah blah blah\r\n",
> "\0"
> };

The crucial difference is not inside the curly brackets, its that
char *abil_desc_parse is not the smae as char *abil_desc_parse[].
In C, an array is the same as a pointer, so that
char *abil_desc_parse[] == char **abil_desc_parse
that is char *abil_desc_parse is a string, but
char *abil_desc_parse[] is a pointer to an array of strings, which is
what you want.

HTH

                                                -Hans