Re: polling of disconected sockets from Daniel Koepke on Thu, Dec 04, 1997 at 08:42:26PM -0800

From: Steve Thompson (stevet@VT.EDU)
Date: 12/06/97

On Thu, Dec 04, 1997 at 08:42:26PM -0800, Daniel Koepke wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Steve Thompson wrote:
>
> ->Note:  this has nothing to do with combat lag or transmition of data, the
> ->character in question just is "cut off" and no one else is even logged into
> ->the mud.  it may *result* in lag though, and some of my players have bitched
> ->about that.
>
> If no-one is connected, the MUD goes to sleep.  That is, it calls the
> select() function to put the MUD to sleep until a signal is received
> or a new connection is received.

Actually, no. :-)  On DP, we have a whod daemon that runs on PORT+1, the
ability for circle to sleep was very neat and intrigueing, but was not
condusive to our whod daemon.  So ours does not goto sleep, but alas I am
still failing to understand why this occuring.  Someone was disconnected
today and the load did not rise, so I am quite clueless as to why this is
occuring.  Boggling in fact.

> ->This one boggles me, heck maybe it is a FreeBSD bug, but I like to hope not
>
> Hm...

I am more inclined to think that it is an interface problem rather than an
actual kernel problem.  I was given a little help to work on the accounting
of the processes on the system.

If I do find anything, I will be sure to let you all know.

-Steve

--
   Stephen C. Thompson
   stevet@vt.edu