Re: Oasis patches, and patches in general

From: StormeRider (silk@ICI.NET)
Date: 12/08/97

At 09:56 PM 12/8/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Since noone yet, has aired my point of view on releasing patches and
>snippets on stuff, I'll do it myself (sort of obvious :) *grin*
>
>Then there are others offering various additional OLC's for social and
>helpfile editing, some system for guilds (haven't even looked at this :p),
>and a hell of a lot of other patches and snippets....

Its still in the works again since no-one seems to be able to find a copy
of the old patch I put out which one person used that I know of.

>The beauty of all this is, that it's mostly scattered in SMALL files, so
>you can go select exactly those different parts of the available
>(re)sources, that you want to add to your mud. This is one thing I love.
>Especially since I like to read through the entire snippets/patches to see
>if it's something I'd like, if it's something I don't need after all, or
>something I could do better myself, and just use for the sake of a base
>idea or frame to build what I need on.

But even so, they way George wants it the newer addons will be able to be
disabled with a simple #define OLC_THIS_THAT_OR_THE_OTHER FALSE and it
doesnt go in. And even they are small files that slip in their respective
niches.

>I also feel it makes it a little too easy for those, who ought to get a
>hard time *snicker* This has ofcourse been discussed a million times
>before, but there's no doubt in my mind, that the more (re)sources that is
>made available to the newboe John Doe, the bigger problems they'll get in
>the end, and the more spam for help, we'll get on this list, on subjects,
>that I do not wish to help anyone on.

I somewhat agree but with something like the OLC there comes the
compatability issue of everything working together and resolving conflicts
which is just an unnecessary pain in the arse.

>I feel, that it should be a core competence of the people that ask coding
>questions on this list, that they do know ore are trying VERY hard to get
>to know how to code C, and how to code stuff on a mud. Recent questions on
>this list have proven (as usual :), that it isn't everyone who does this.

touche. But kudos to George anyways, imho.

StormeRider                  --- http://www.windsofstorm.net/wos/
silk@ici.net                 --- telnet://cmoo.com:4004