Re: ASCII data files

From: Erik & Tanya Niese-Petersen (Tenp@CRIS.COM)
Date: 12/11/97

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, ;P wrote:

> > >into the saved structs..imho, ascii pfiles shouldn't be stock..especially
> > >since there is a patch that will give it to you..
> >
> > Invalid argument.  Saving aliases are available and that feature will be
> > going into the stock distribution anyway.
>
> true, but aliases are basically useless unless they are saved..the player
> file is completely fuctional the way it is...and ascii-izing it is a
> feature that is wanted by some, and not wanted by others..
>
> i haven't done any research, but i was under the impression that ascii
> player files take more space than binary player files..if this is so,
> then i don't want to use them until direct links to the internet are
> sufficiently lcheap that i can move the mud onto a local machine rather
> than an ISP account with a disk quota (which is used for more than just
> the mud)..

Did ASCII playerfiles on a Circle 2.2 a few years ago.. Saved between
40-60% in disk space plus memory becoz each player was loaded only when
needed, not a whole file as the binary is now.

I don't know why so many people are upset about ASCII files compared to
Binary. Speed shouldnt be an problem anymore, now of days with faster
hardware. Space.. Only seen savings in both player files and object
files. (Alot actually in object files, since I don't like stringing eq.
anyway, so only the virtaul number is saved. plus needed values and
enchantments if differ from prototype..)

But maybe there should be made a questionary what people would rather
seen in the future of Circle stock. ASCII or Binary. Maybe as a start
just through this mailing list..

Erik Niese-Petersen
AKA Quint the Typo Dane